A survey asked Grievers to decide which comments were helpful following a loss. Out of 141 comments, they found only 19 helpful.
Here are some of the types of comments that were not helpful:
- You’ll be fine in time/ Give it time.
- I know how you feel.
- You shouldn’t be feeling that way still.
- Look on the bright side, at least they’re in a better place.
- You were too good for him/her.
- There’s plenty more fish in the sea.
- Don’t feel bad, his suffering is over now.
- Don’t be angry with God.
- You’re young; you can still have other children.
- It was just a dog, cat, bird, etc.